Thursday, November 25, 2010

It's not a matter of luck, it's just a matter of time

While laying here in bed, waiting for sleep to grace me with its presence, I can't help but let my mind wander. And the current thought that's weaving it's way through the labyrinth that is my mind; fate. Whatever you may call it or whatever you believe in, whether it be fate, destiny, coincidences or free will, there are those moments in our lives where we doubt our own beliefs and open ourselves up to the possibility of different views.
Now, I've given this subject of free will vs. fate a lot of thought, and I've never been able to come to a definite conclusion. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards believing in fate. I'm a firm believer in the notion that "everything happens for a reason", so it would only make sense for me to believe in fate, right?
Well, I have a story to tell you. The events of this story, while taking place in a slightly intoxicated state, truly freaked me out.. (even when I was sober)!
It was Monday November 15, 2010 and I had sat my very last VCE exam earlier that day. As a celebration of the end of exams I had a group of friends around for pizza and drinks. Being the responsible young adults that we are, we had some people who had to drive who were not drinking. Emily was one of those sober people. Kaitlyn was also another, however she wasn't going to turn up until later on in the night. Rach on the other hand was not one of the non-drinkers. So, when it came time for Rach to go to Bonnie's house (who lives around the corner and down the road; a 5min drive but a 30min walk. Rach was getting picked up from Bonnie's house cos it was easier for Rach's mum to go to a familiar house) I said that rather than Rach walking (which she wanted to do) it would be safer for Emily to drive Rach to Bonnie's and, seeing as how Emily didn't know the area well, I should go too as the navigator. So it was decided; Emily and I would leave to take Rach to Bonnie's. On the way to Bonnie's place though I told Emily to take a right turn onto the road that would take us past my old house (which is also a 5min drive from my current house and literally down the road from Bonnie's). It was a split decision for me to tell Emily to turn right and, seeing as we had some time before Rach's mum would arrive, Emily followed my directions. We turned into my old court and, being the slightly drunk person that I was, I excitedly told Rach and Emily about all the houses in my old court as we passed them, until we got to my old house at the end of the court. There was a car parked outside my old house, but I thought nothing of it; I was too wrapped up in telling my random stories. That was until Emily said "hey, isn't that Kaitlyn?". That's when I looked at the car parked out front my old house and realised it was Kaitlyn. She obviously hadn't noticed it was us in the car because she started her car and began to drive off. I told Emily to hurry up and follow Kaitlyn and, again in my slightly drunk state, I opened the passenger door while we were still moving and ran after Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn then stopped and pulled over. I went to her car, she wound down the window and, naturally, she was surprised to see me. She said "Jys, what are you doing here?" to which I replied "I came to visit my old house! What are you doing here?!". Kaitlyn just looked at me and said "I thought this is where you lived.. Number **, ********* Court?" By this time I was in almost in hysterics! I looked at Kaitlyn and I said "Kaitlyn, this is my old house. I haven't lived here for 3 years. You've never been to this house and I've never had reason to give you this address.." Kaitlyn, however, could have sworn that the house she was parked out front of was my house! I told Kaitlyn where we were off to and that she should just follow us until we get back to my house.
So that's what we did. Emily and I dropped Rach off at Bonnie's house with Kaitlyn following behind us. We made it back to my house where the three of us rejoined the party. Kaitlyn made it to my current residential address and we had a good time! However, it really shook me how that whole event panned out! I mean, what are the chances that I would make a last minute decision to tell Emily to turn right? What are the chances that Kaitlyn would go to my old house? What are the chances that we would actually find Kaitlyn at my old house? Had I not told Emily to turn, we wouldn't have gone to my old house and we wouldn't have found Kaitlyn! It may sound silly, but just think about it; what are the chances of that happening?! What if it hadn't have been me who went with Emily to give directions? Bonnie easily could have gone with the girls as she also lives in the area. If that had been the case then she definitely wouldn't've made the turn. I was the only one who could have gone and possibly made that decision. And what even made me decide to take the girls to my old house in the first place?
After that incident, and given the eerie conversation topic I'd been discussing with Rach and Bonnie earlier in the night, I was genuinely spooked a little by what happened and it really cemented my belief in things happening for a reason; in fate!

No comments: