Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day Six - Your Favourite Internet Friend

Dear Favourite Internet Friend,

You know, I can't write this to just one person because in fact this letter subject encompasses a group of people. The group of people to whom I am talking about refer to themselves, myself included, as Musers.

Musers noun the collective term given to the die-hard fanbase of British alternative rock band, Muse.

I don't know if I can describe the connection between Musers in such a way that 'outsiders' would understand. Yes, the connection is based on a mutual love and obsession for a band, however it seems to go beyond that. The wonders of the internet are that you don't have to be in physical contact with someone in order to be communicating with them, therefore you can forge friendships with people from anywhere in the country - anywhere in the world; relationships that aren't based on ones appearance, age or ethinicity, but rather for who you are as a person. Musers are an extremely widespread group of people, yet we all manage to maintain friendships via the internet. Networks such as Twitter and Facebook, and the ever popular Muse Messageboards on muse.mu, allow us all to keep in contact. It's not just about being able to stay in contact though, it's about what we can all do for each other. I have never come across a more understanding and supportive fanbase than the Muse one. It goes beyond the music. You log on to the messageboards and half the time the topic doesn't even revolve around Muse; a lot of the time it's people sharing regular everyday activities and events. But what gets me is that everyone truly cares about each other. If someone is having a shit day, then you know that you can always rely on your fellow Musers to help out, give you support and provide you with some encouraging advice. I think that the reason for the strong connection between everyone is that we understand where each other are coming from. We understand the crazy and obsessive nature we all have. We can ramble on about things to each other that everyone else would find to be pointless, and we can do so because we aren't going to be judged and looked upon as being 'weird'. I am so grateful that I stumbled across such an amazing group of people, I really don't think my life would be the same without them!

However, this letter would not be complete without mentioning my closest Musers. I haven't been mentioning names in these letters, but I will for this one; 1) because they ought to know who they are and 2) it would be confusing for me and everyone else if I didn't ! :)
Lucy, my international muser sister :) You are such an amazing person! I can talk to you about anything at all, and I know that you're there to listen. I can rattle off all my problems to you and more than likely bore you to death, lol, but you are still there for me anyway to give me advice and help me out. My family has never met you, yet they've already accepted you into our home!! If ever you're here in Australia, you know that you have a place to stay that is willing to take you in with open arms! I love how we share that slight perverted nature that would probably freak a LOT of people out, lol. I understand your love and desires for Matthew, just like you understand my love and desires for Dominic ;) I also know that medical attention is required on standby whenever photographic evidence of Matthew's beauty presents itself at the hands of Evelyn's twitpics, lol. I love you, Lucy! I love talking to you, ranting to you, obsessing with you, making up rather adult-themed/censored stories with you, and I love that you're my friend!
Evelyn, my domestic muser sister, lol. We may live in the same country, however unfortunately we find ourselves in different states! Although, we are neighbouring states, so it's not so bad. Together, along with Lucy, we have some weird friendship going on, lol. You are the "mature adult" who has to intervene to sort Lucy and I out when things get a little bit out of control, (which usually means that we've managed to turn an innocent conversation into a some perverted mess!) Sometimes you set us straight, but let's face it, most of the time you join in, lol. You are the awesome, kick-ass, old fart! You have incredible taste in music and fashion (a style which has been inspired by a certain leopard print loving drummer from some amazing rock band from Devon). You enjoy all things Japanese and British! You can share in my experiences in Japan, and you can make me incredibly jealous of your time spent in England! You help in enabling my obsession with Dominic by simply playing along with whatever crazy antics I might come out with. For some reason I feel very comfortable talking to you, which I'm pretty sure is a good thing, lol. I mean that in the sense that I'm waiting for the day when I say something so crazy that you're just gonna be like 'that's it, I can't take her anymore!', lol. But so far you seem to have taken my weirdness on board and accepted me, craziness and all! You provide health-hazardous twitpics every night that result in me fainting and dying over and over, however I wouldn't have it any other way! Much like the bizarre conversations I have with Lucy, you and I also seem to have a knack for using our imaginations to create wonderful Muse-related, slightly perverted, MA15+ stories! (Although, I'm thinking that it might be bordering R now.. lol) Together we have pushed the boundries of stalking; from Twitter to Facebook to Muse forums to telecommunication devices! =O lol.
Ashleigh, you and I find ourselves lucky enough to actually live in the same country, in the same state!! That's quite a feat that we've managed, lol. It's funny how alike we are in so many different ways. It's like we're the same person, just completely different, lol, if that makes sense. Time and time again we seem to realise how much we have in common, which I think stopped being weird a while ago now. Together we understand just how incredibly attractive Dominic James Howard is. Every night Evelyn's 'Dom nom nom' pics are dedicated to you and I; we've become Dominic-partners XD I know that if we lived closer together, or if I had met you just through something like school, that we would have been friends anyway; regardless of whether we had knowledge of each others Muse obsession or not :)
Julian, my Colombian muser dude! I don't know where to start! You are so incredibly kind to me, you have no idea! You find it hard to believe that I don't get complimented more often (if not ever) here in Australia; well, I'm telling you now, people here just mustn't be as nice as you. You are probably the first male to ever make me feel good about myself. I don't seek to please people, because I'm content with who I am and if that isn't good enough for everybody elses standards, then that's not my problem; And you understand this completely. You have accepted me for me. You make me feel as if my slight eccentric nature is okay. Normally I might shy away a bit from others if I get the impression that I've really done something outrageous for them to think I'm completely insane; but you have embraced my weirdness and dubbed me your crazy Aussie muser :) You trusted me to look after your children that I purchased for you (in a completely non-illegal blackmarket child-slavery type of way, lol). You help me with my Spanish speaking skills; "Mi nombre es Jyssica y estoy un poco loca". You are always trying to get me to listen when you say how awesome I am, but take the time to sit back and acknowledge yourself for the amazing individual that you are, because believe me, you are!

I think I might bring this letter to a close now. As you can see, I love my internet friends. I don't care how weird that might seem to other people, because I now cannot imagine my life without these wonderful people in it. I feel so lucky to have come across such amazing individuals, and I hope that in the very near future I will have the opportunity to meet them all ♥

-Jyssica.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did I ever tell you that I love you? Well, I love you :) Thank you for being the way you are :D